Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
These instructions are for your comfort and safety. Failure to follow them may require cancellation of your procedure for that day. Please follow these instructions carefully to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water and coffee) for eight hours prior to the appointment. Do not have a large meal or alcoholic beverages after 9:00 pm the evening before your appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery. If you wear glasses, please bring them with you.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you normally take a prescription medication in the morning, please ask your oral surgeon whether you should take it the day of the appointment. If so, or if prophylactic medications are needed, a small sip of water can be used when taking the medication.